Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Report Writing

Report Writing Task
You belong to a committee that helps to organise a yearly carnival or festival in your home town. This year's event has just taken place and you have been asked by the event leader to write a short report about it, highlighting the successes and making recommendations for next year. Your report may include any or all of the following topics:
•number of people attending?
•money raised?
•most successful acts or events?
•publicity?
•general points?
Write the report for the event leader. (around 280 - 320 words)

1. The use of formal language in a Report
•Avoid using contractions in reports as they are too informal.
Write "I would like to recommend..." instead of "I´d like to recommend..."

•Another thing to avoid is using idioms and phrasal verbs as they tend to be spoken and informal.

2. The organisation of a Report
A report should have a title and subtitles (or subheadings) and be divided into clear sections. There is usually an introduction and a conclusion.

3. Useful language / Phrases to use in a Report.
•In the introduction
–The aim of this report is to...
–The purpose of this report is to outline...
–This report will also provide some recommendations on...
•In the conclusion
–I strongly recommend...ing
–It would be highly advisable to...
–I would no doubt suggest...ing
–I also believe we should...

No comments:

Post a Comment